Earlsferry runs along the western half of the bay shared with Elie.
Of the two settlements, Earlsferry has the longer history, being made a Royal Burgh by Robert II in 1373. By then it had been an established ferry port for crossings to North Berwick for hundreds of years. Earlsferry ceased to operate as a port after a serious storm in 1766. Now a popular destination for the beaches, good food and golf.